Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE POONT

I have been away from my desk for many days.   I am broken up.  My Aunt left this earth 8 days ago.  Her time came too soon.  We called her Poont.  She was 20 years old when I was born.  We were super tight.  We got into a lot of trouble together.  She was really really funny.  She was really really into doing hair and makeup, as a hobby.  My mom let her give me my first perm when I was in 7th grade.  It hurt bad.  "It is Hell to be beautiful" she said.  Isn't that the truth.  

She spoiled me rotten.  I will miss her every day.  This snapshot was taken when I was 14.  After 4 hours in my backyard with The Poont and her spiral curling iron, I hit the town in a fancy plum and black taffeta party dress and dyed-to-match heels.  Our inspiration must have been "Little Bo Peep with a dash of Elvira".  The occasion was a dance, not just pizza and a movie at the Lory theater.  I still have the gold herringbone necklace.  She gave it to me for my 13th birthday...  It was all the rage.  So were 6 inch bangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment